The old town hall was built in the early 19th century. The ground-floor building became cramped as the administrative offices of the town grew in size (1873). The new town hall was put out to tender in 1890. The first prize was awarded to Lajos Ybl (1855-1934) for his competition entitled Patria. The foundation stone was laid on 12 April 1892 and the opening ceremony took place on 18 January 1894, during a public assembly. The bell was made by the Walser firm of Budapest.
The building is eclectic in style with Renaissance-style historicist elements. Triangular and semi-circular window sills, Rococo cornices, balustrades and rusticated windows decorate the main façade.
On 4 September 1970, the tower roof burnt down, followed by the roof structure on 4 March 1971. The damaged bell was placed in the square. The new one was made by Lajos Gombos, a master bell-maker from őrbottyán.
The date of construction is inscribed on marble plaques in the entrance hall, together with the names of the King, the Prime Minister, the Archbishop and the Mayor who built the bell. A special plaque has been placed in honour of Lajos Ybl.
A statue of János Pásztor the Wood Honourable stands at the turn of the main entrance staircase, with three stained-glass windows with leaded panels above it. The furniture of the banqueting hall was made by the Dózsa brothers. On the walls are large paintings of Count Miklós Bercsényi, Ferenc Deák, Queen Elisabeth, King Franz Joseph, Lajos Kossuth, Ferenc Rákóczi II.